The Chicago Area Writing Project (CAWP) is celebrating 35 years of helping teachers, schools and district improve literacy instruction for K-12 students. CAWP offers professional development programs at your schools and in your districts in writing, reading, emergent literacy, content area reading and writing, assessment and more.
We also have three great teacher workshops coming up this spring!
- On Feb. 21, Dr. Shari Frost and Ms. Rosa Brown, both Golden Apple early childhood specialists, will lead two workshops on K-2 Writing and the Common Core and great K-2 writing activities.
- On March 14, four CAWP Teacher Consultants will participate in a panel discussion on K-8 Close Reading of Complex Texts across the grades and then we’ll have break out sessions (K-2, gr. 3-5, gr. 6-8) on grade-specific teaching strategies and resources.
- On April 4, we’re offering a special program on Writing and the Common Core in grades 6-10 in the morning and a choice of one of two workshops in the afternoon Connecting Writing and Reading as recommended by the Common Core.
Just click the “Programs” tab above, find the Spring 2014 Teacher Programs and scroll down for more information and registration forms. Veteran teachers (3 or more years experience) who would like to become CAWP Teacher Consultants, it’s not too early to apply for our 2014 CAWP Invitational Summer Institute Plus. It’s free for accepted educators and has been described as an epiphanal professional experience.
Check back later in the spring, because we’re planning some great summer offerings! You’ll be able to take individual sessions or the entire series of workshops. Some tentative topics for the summer are:
- Technology and Writing (iPads, essential apps, publishing student writing)
- K-2 Writing (Narrative, Opinion, Explanatory, Shared Research)
- Gr. 3-8 Walking Through the Writing Process
- Reading Basics for Content Area Teachers in grades 5-10
If you’re interested in hearing about CAWP programs, add your name and email to our mailing list by clicking Contact Us above and include the sessions/ topics that interest you in the comment section. Hope to see you soon! – Barbara Kato, CAWP Director